Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mettlach - the german city of Outlets

Since I moved to Switzerland I've been wanting to buy a set of Villeroy & Boch china for my future new home. I'd usually just go to a big "galerie" like Galeries Lafayette or Printemps, but I decided to go to Villeroy's website to see if they had a big store somewhere in Europe, and for my surprise they have a really big OUTLET STORE. The store is in Mettlach, a small town in Germany, right next to the borders of Luxembourg and France, which for me is just perfect as my husband's aunt lives about 45 minutes from Mettlach.



We went this weekend to his aunt's home for easter and on our way back we've passed through Mettlach to see what they had. The Villeroy's outlet is amazing, they have most of their china and cutlery at 20% off or more. It's really worth it, and in the city you'll find other outlets like Silit and Rösle, two great brands for kitchen ware. 

But outlets are not the only thing you can find, Mettlach is a medieval city with the Saar river by it's side, you could visit the city by walking and also don't miss the Villeroy & Boch's discovery center, where you can learn about the history of ceramic and tableware and also take a walk through the gardens of Mettlach's old abbey. The abbey was acquired by Jean-François Boch in 1809 to become their first ceramic factory and today is the main headquarters of Villeroy & Boch.

Villeroy & Boch headquarter in Mettlach's old abbey


The region is also very lovely, with small towns, boat excursions through the Saar and the Mosel river, wineries all over the place, with great Riesling tastings. Not to far away is Trier, the oldest city in Germany where you should visit the Porta Nigra, a gate from about A.D. 180. 

The Saar river
Other cities to visit: Saarburg and Bitburg(and their brewery Bitburger - attention, their presentation is only in German) 

Have a nice trip, I know I had!!!Oh, I'd advise you to go on spring, it's beautiful!!!

Villeroy & Boch outlet hours: 
Monday-Friday 9:30 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday 9:30 am - 6:00 pm
Sundays 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm

website: http://www.villeroy-boch.com/en/us/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment