Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Caves Ouvertes - best thing ever!!!

This past weekend I felt so lucky to be living in Switzerland! I went to one of the best Wine related events I've ever been to or heard about. It basically works like this:
In one weekend, most wineries in the Vaud canton open their cellars for tasting! You buy the glass for 15 swiss francs and you're entitled to one tasting(usually one glass) in each wine maker (about 300 that participate). There are about 5 regions of wineries and each region puts small trains or buses from their main train station or the town center to the wineries, these local transportation are free, but f you plan to go to more than one region I'd suggest getting a train pass for the weekend, that way you won't have to worry about the drinking, and let's be honest, who would?? Considering a tasting glass is about 30 ml of wine, times 300 wineries, that gives us about 9 liters of wine in two days, of course it's probably impossible to go to all the regions and drink from every place, but even us, that had only sunday to do this, and we started quite late, at about 2 pm and went until 7 pm, we had 14 glasses each, and we could have had more, but we're not that strong!!!


We've been to the Aigle area and one part of Lavaux. It was amazing, a lot of people, but you could always get to the tastings, very organized, most tents had snacks, some even had high-quality small dishes to pair with the wines(not free, but well worth it). Beautiful settings, and even grape syrup for the kids!

Now that I know about this event, I'm gonna make sure I come every year, and I'd suggest you do the same, and it's the perfect opportunity to get to know the amazing Swiss wines that most people never even heard about.

Go with a white Chasselas and a red Pinot-Gamay and you won't be sorry you came all the way to Switzerland, and of course, enjoy the view!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time.Traveling and wine:-)I am a fan. I love your blog.Very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment!!! Sorry for the long time without writing, but keep reading cause I have lots of new posts to come!

    ReplyDelete